Monday, 9 April 2012

Current Favourite Base Products...

I thought I would do a little post to show what my favourite base (primer, concealer, foundation and powder) products have been recently. As I said in my previous post I have really been loving more affordable high street brands recently and that is reflected in my current favourites.


  • Bourjois Healthy Mix Serum Foundation - As a life long Estee Lauder Double Wear fanatic I was surprised when I found myself looking for a lighter coverage foundation. My skin has been behaving itself recently and I wanted to try something that wasn't such heavy coverage. I really love this. Its a light to medium coverage that is definitely buildable. I wouldn't say the finish is dewey but its not quite matt either. I've worn this every day since I got it and its definitely my current favourite. I picked the colour 51 Light Vanilla and the colour match is pretty close to perfect. I find that this gives a lovely base to work with without blanking out my features. I think that it makes me look more awake and my skin quite radiant when I use it, especially in conjunction with the next product. I will definitely re-purchase.
  • L'Oreal Lumi Magnique Pure Light Primer - This is a gorgeous illuminating primer. It really does what it says on the tin. My skin looks brighter, healthier and more luminescent when I wear this. Its even lovely on its own. This is quite similar to Mac Strobe Cream but I have always felt that Strobe Cream gave me too much shine. This doesn't really make me shine, just brightens my skin and adds a radiance that still shows through foundation. It also feels very light on my skin.
  • Clinique Pore Refining Solutions Instant Perfecter - This is a pore minimising primer, designed to do the same as the much loved Benefit Pore-fessional. I haven't actually tried Benefits offering but I had tried some on the back of my hand and just didn't like the way it felt on my skin. Despite filling the pores, this is light, doesn't feel heavy and is really nice at giving a good smooth base to work from. My pores look noticeably smaller and my makeup doesn't settle into them when I use this.
  • Collection 2000 Lasting Perfection Concealer - This has been my go to concealer recently. It gives really excellent coverage and blends really nicely. It also lasts for most of the day as well. The only downside to this is the writing on my tube of it has completely worn away as you can see from the picture above. Not exactly a big complaint but it does make the product look pretty cheap and nasty. Still, it works so well cant really complain.
  • Sleek Makeup Luminous Pressed Powder - I love this. Its a light powder which makes the skin look luminous (as the name suggests). I like how light this is as it does add additional cover to my foundation but doesn't look cakey or too heavy. Its easy to blend and doesn't wear away. Really lovely.
I also thought I would show you my go to brushes to apply all this



They are both Real Techniques brushes and are the Buffing Brush (Golden) and the Deluxe Crease Brush (purple). Both of these are parts of sets and unfortunately cannot be bought separately. I love the buffing brush so much that I bought 2 of the sets and use one brush for my liquid foundation and another for my powder. It really buffs it on perfectly and is so easy to work with.

The bristles of all Real Techniques brushes are made from synthetic Taklon and are super super soft. Like unbelievably so meaning that they are a pleasure to work with. The Deluxe Crease Brush is the one I use for blending my concealer and I really couldn't be without it. I don't know how I got on before I discovered either of these brushes. I have all bar 3 of the Real Techniques brushes (not counting the 3 newly introduces ones) and they are absolutely my favourite brushes.

Jill x

No comments:

Post a Comment