Friday, 27 April 2012

You fail me Illamasqua Skin Base...

Well hello there! It's been a while!


I really must apologise for my absence. Life got in the way of blogging again. I've also been a little under the weather and currently have a bit of an eye infection (antibiotic eye drops are not a good time) so haven't been wearing much makeup. Well, I mean, lets not be ridiculous, I've still been wearing foundation, blusher etc, just no eye makeup or anything else near my eye which is a real shame as I had just got a few new bits and pieces of eye makeup before I got struck down with the lurgie. 


Anyway, I really wanted to get back to the blog so thought I would do a few posts that i've been meaning to do for a while.


Now, I've been umm-ing and ahh-ing about doing a post on this particular product for a while. At the end of last year I found myself craving a new foundation. I've been a devoted Estee Lauder Double Wear fan for quite some time now but was longing to try something different. I had heard lots of good things about the Illamasqua Skin Base Foundation and, given my love for the brand, thought I would try it out.




So many people seem to love this foundation but, honestly? I'm not one of them. I just can't get it to work for me.


It comes in the same packaging as the Satin & Matt primers, plastic bottle, plastic lid. It does allow you to control how much you get out of it (its always annoyed me that double wear doesn't have a pump!) but I can't say I'm a fan.






And, check out the pictures. Look what happened! The writing has all but disappeared from the package. This happened when it was about a week (!!) old and had only been sitting in my drawer. I lifted it up and it just smeared right off. Very annoying, especially when the shade disappeared as well. It also makes the packaging look pretty cheap too, not great when it isn't exactly budget friendly.




I was matched to shade 5 which isn't great. Its ok but definitely doesn't match me as well as other foundations i've tried since. The sales assistant tried 2 shades on me and the other one was just too pale.






I find this foundation ridiculously hard to work with. I cannot get it to apply smoothly. I find the consistency very thick. It doesn't blend well and I find that in order to get it to look just ok I need to do so much work that my arm literally aches. I also find that I have to use quite a lot of product just to get an ok coverage. Ok is key here, not great, just ok. I know that after the full coverage that is double wear, anything will seem less but I feel that I get better coverage and an overall more pleasant feel (plus better look!) with my Bourjois Healthy Mix Serum Foundation which is much cheaper!


It oxidises on me quite badly as well. I get that unfortunate orangey look in areas pretty quickly after application. It also looks quite cakey. I had thought as first that was because of the amount of product I was using but I've also tried it with less product and it still looks cakey, but cakey with crap coverage, something I didn't even think was possible.


The picture below shows it blended in. In this picture, I did the same amount of blending at the edges I would have done with double wear, healthy mix etc and look at it...deary me!


I keep going back to this foundation as I'm desperate to make it work for me. After so many rave reviews, I find it so hard to believe that, for me, theres so much wrong with it. It has actually put me off trying any other Illamasqua foundations as if I don't like this, the one that is supposedly the best, what chance do I have? Despite that, I still absolutely adore Illamasqua. I just doubt their foundations will be getting a look in in the future!

Jill x






No comments:

Post a Comment